Explore the calm clear waters of this unique lagoon on a guided paddle!
Paddle The Mangroves & Seagrass Meadows
Paddle mangroves and seagrass meadows in Biscayne National Park
Departure Location: Dante Fascell Visitor Center in Homestead, FL
Duration: 1.5 hours
Start Time: 9:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 3:00 p.m.
Age Limits: Age 6+ on shared trips, 3 and older on private.
Adult to Child ratio: 1 adult 18+ per 1 child shared trips, 1 adult 18+ per 2 children on private trips
- See Keeping You Safe from COVID-19 for additional information before you book.
- Paddler Ages 6-11
- Private Trip Up to 6 paddlers
- Private Trip Up to 10 paddlers
Explore Biscayne National Park’s watery trails!
Join our Naturalist in exploring the mangroves and seagrass meadows on a kayak! Biscayne National Park boasts one of the longest contiguous stretches of mangrove shoreline left on the United States’ eastern shoreline and are considered a vulnerable habitat. Mangroves are home to many birds, tree crabs, the mangrove snake, juvenile fish, and several rare and endangered species of flora and fauna.
Your program will be led by naturalist for the first 30 minutes and then you will be able to paddle on your own for the next hour. The naturalist will show you where to watch for interesting wildlife and tell you about what you may see. Your guide will also give pointers on how to enter and exit your boat, how to use your paddle efficiently, and how to stay safe on the water.
Protective foot wear required, flip-flops are not permitted.
On shared bookings there must be at least one adult per double kayak with no more than 1 child. Private bookings can have up to 2 children per adult in a double kayak or canoe.
This program will depart from Convoy Point located at the Dante Fascell Visitor Center in Homestead, FL. 9700 SW 328th Street Sir Lancelot Jones Way Homestead, FL 33033.
You will check-in at the bookstore that’s located on the second floor right next to the visitor center 30 mins before the trip departs. Please complete your waivers before your trip to ensure a smoother check-in process.
Our age limit is age 6 and older on shared trips, 3 and older on private trips. This will ensure the safety of everyone on this trip.
There should be one adult per child on shared trips, and one adult per two children on private trips.
All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
This Biscayne National Park paddling program is designed for active adults and children over 6 who are good paddlers (private trips open to ages 3 and older). Paddling can be long and strenuous for some guest; we advise guest to have some paddle experience to go on this trip.
This program has activities that could cause problems for pregnant women, those with recent surgeries or back injuries, and can cause motion/sea sickness. To best accommodate you and make your trip safe and enjoyable, please make a note in your reservation or privately notify our captain or mate if:
- You are not an experienced paddler
- You have any recent surgeries
- You have any back injuries
- You have any medical conditions
- You are prone to motion/sea sickness
- You are pregnant
- You have any other concerns regarding your safety and health
Please note: If it is determined the trip may not be suitable for you based on the days conditions a full refund will be offered.
We recommend that you bring along the following:
- Water Bottle
- Reef safe sunscreen
- Towel, hat, sunglasses, water shoes
- Insect Repellent
Please do not bring anything that you don’t wish to get wet. We recommend storing any valuables in a small waterproof bag.
You will be using double hard plastic kayaks. You will also be given paddles and a life vest to wear while paddling.
Online waivers will be sent with the booking confirmation. No printing necessary. You can even complete the waivers on your phone! Adults over the age of 18 must complete and submit their own waiver. Minors ages 17 and younger must have a parent or legal guardian complete and submit a waiver on behalf of the minor. For snorkeling activities there are separate waivers for adults and minors, please be sure you are completing the appropriate waiver. All minors must be accompanied by an adult. To complete the waiver process, you will need to confirm your email address through and email that will be sent by Smartwaiver.
Paddling is an exciting and demanding activity. When performed correctly, applying correct techniques, it is relatively safe. However, there are certain medical conditions that increase risk. If you have a medical condition described on the Medical Statement or any other condition that would be contrary to safe participation in any in-water activities, you must provide documentation that you sought the advice of a physician prior to engaging in paddling activities.
What is the difference between Jones Lagoon Paddle Clear Calm Waters vs Paddle the Mangroves and Seagrass Meadows?
- The Jones paddle takes place in a remote location that is a 45-minute ride by powerboat each way from the visitor center. It is a special and unique place. The paddle from the visitor center is very nice and we do see wildlife, but not as diverse as Jones Lagoon.
- The paddle from the Visitor Center is shorter and kid friendly, in Jones you cover more distance, and it requires you to be above 8 on a double kayak or 12 on your own on a paddleboard 12 and older.
- Only Jones Lagoon Paddle will use stand up paddleboards (SUPs) and inflatable kayaks, Paddle the Mangroves and Seagrass Meadows will use hard plastic kayaks.
Why might my paddle be canceled?
- This paddling trip is very dependent on wind, due to safety, we will cancel this paddling trip if the wind is too high. You will have the chance to rebook to the same trip for another day or for another trip. If you do not wish to rebook, then we can refund you your trip.