Explore the calm clear waters of this unique lagoon on a guided paddle!
Snorkel & Paddle Eco-Adventure
All day trip with amazing paddle in Jones Lagoon
Departure Location: Dante Fascell Visitor Center in Homestead, FL
Duration: 6 hours
Start Time: 10:15 a.m.
Age Limit: Ages 12+ on shared trips. All ages welcomed on private trips.
- Fins are required to be worn by all participants while snorkeling as a safety precaution. Snorkel Equipment rental available.
- See Keeping You Safe from COVID-19 Important information regarding new guidelines and procedures for our trips.
- Passenger Ages 12+
- Private Trip Up to 6 passengers
- Private Trip Up to 12 passengers
An intimate exploration of Biscayne National Park!
Join us for an intimate exploration of the waters of Biscayne National Park on our 23′ powerboat Biscayne Explorer. On a full-day guided trip, with only six people, you might paddle Jones Lagoon looking for the rare roseate spoonbill, snorkel a shipwreck on the Maritime Heritage Trail, or watch the amazing diversity of life on the coral reef. Keep a lookout for the dolphins, rays, and sea turtles that live here. Where you go each day is based on the day’s weather and your group’s special interests. Your guide is a Captain on the Biscayne National Park Institute staff who teaches you about the different habitats in the park and how they interact with each other along with history of the area.
Your Captain will pick the best snorkel spot for the day depending on the day’s weather and the group’s interest.
We use stand up paddle boards while paddling the mangroves because their low profile allows you to see more beneath the water surface. Stand up paddle boards are very stable and can be knelt on or sat on like a kayak.
Trips start and end at the park headquarters behind the Dante Fascell Visitor Center. Arrive and check in at the Park store at 10 a.m. Board your boat at 10:15 a.m. to cross Biscayne Bay and get in the water on your morning adventure paddling and/or snorkeling. Stop for lunch ashore on a barrier island and then start your afternoon adventure paddling and/or snorkeling. Return across the bay to the visitor center arriving at about 4:30 p.m. Please note: we do not provide lunch, we highly recommend to pack a lunch for this full-day adventure.
This program will depart from Convoy Point located at the Dante Fascell Visitor Center in Homestead, FL. 9700 SW 328th Street Sir Lancelot Jones Way Homestead, FL 33033.
You will check-in at the bookstore that’s located on the second floor right next to the visitor center 30 mins before the trip departs. Please complete your waivers before your trip to ensure a smoother check in process.
This full day program has an age limit of 12 and older. For safety reasons, because of the amount of paddling in activity, we request for children younger than 12 to be in private trips so that the captain and staff can focus on the child and your family in any case of an emergency.
All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
This Biscayne National Park snorkeling and paddling program is designed for active adults and children over 12 who are good swimmers and paddlers (private trips open to all ages). Swimming in the bay and open ocean, you may encounter some currents and swells which require the ability to swim and float confidently. Inflatable snorkeling vests are required, optional life jackets and pool noodles are available on the boat upon request.
This program has activities that could cause problems for pregnant women, those with recent surgeries or back injuries, and can cause motion/sea sickness. To best accommodate you and make your trip safe and enjoyable, please make a note in your reservation or privately notify our captain or mate if:
- You are not an experienced snorkeler/paddler
- You have any recent surgeries
- You have any back injuries
- You have any medical conditions
- You are prone to motion/sea sickness
- You are pregnant
- You have any other concerns regarding your safety and health
Please note: If it is determined the trip may not be suitable for you based on the days conditions a full refund will be offered.
We recommend that you bring along the following:
- Water Bottle
- Reef safe sunscreen
- Towel and extra clothes
Lunch is NOT included. Please bring your own lunch and snacks so you don’t go hungry on your full-day adventure!
You can also bring a small cooler and a bag with you on the boat. Please do not bring anything that you don’t wish to get wet. We recommend storing any valuables in waterproof bag.
What equipment is provided during the program?
- Snorkel vests are provided if you are taking a snorkeling excursion, you will be given a snorkel vest that must been worn while snorkeling.
- Floatation devices are given on request such as pool noodles and life jackets.
- Snorkeling equipment is available for rent during check-out or on the day of your excursion at our store. Fins are the only equipment that’s required to wear while snorkeling.
- Snorkeling Bundle (Masks, Fins, Snorkel) $10
- Mask $3
- Fins $4
- Snorkels $3
- Shorty Wetsuits $8
- The boat will be either be a 23’ or 28’ boat that will have a max of 6 passengers on shared trips. This boat does not have a bathroom, but we recommend using the bathroom in the visitor center before departing, there’s also bathrooms in the island. During the trip the boat could stay in the bay or go out to the ocean (reef barriers), the water on the ocean side could have more movement than if you were to stay in the bay.
- We cannot add an additional passenger on this boat due to Coast Guard safety regulations. Small toddlers and babies still count as a passenger.
- There is a cooler with extra water on the boat, and a cooler to store snacks as well. You can also leave your stuff on the boat while snorkeling, but there is a chance that it will get wet, we highly suggest storing anything that you don’t wish to get wet in a drybag.
Online waivers will be sent with the booking confirmation. No printing necessary. You can even complete the waivers on your phone! Adults over the age of 18 must complete and submit their own waiver. Minors ages 17 and younger must have a parent or legal guardian complete and submit a waiver on behalf of the minor. For snorkeling activities there are separate waivers for adults and minors, please be sure you are completing the appropriate waiver. All minors must be accompanied by an adult. To complete the waiver process, you will need to confirm your email address through and email that will be sent by Smartwaiver.
Snorkeling is an exciting and demanding activity. When performed correctly, applying correct techniques, it is relatively safe. However, there are certain medical conditions that increase risk. If you have a medical condition described on the Medical Statement or any other condition that would be contrary to safe participation in any in-water activities, you must provide documentation that you sought the advice of a physician prior to engaging in snorkeling activities.
What reefs do you go to?
- The captains make the decision on reef locations; it is very dependent on weather conditions and captains’ choice. Once you book and receive an email confirmation, you will be given the captain’s phone line to ask questions about the location of your trip.
What’s the difference between a Small Group Snorkel vs Snorkel and Paddle Eco-Adventure?
- The Snorkel and Paddle Eco-Adventure is a six-hour long excursion that takes you to one snorkel location and a paddle at Jones Lagoon where you can explore the vast variety of wildlife and are taught by the captain on the different habitats and how they interact. On this trip, you stop on a small barrier island for lunch. The small group snorkel trip is a three-and-a-half-hour excursion with two snorkel locations. On both excursions your captain chooses the snorkeling sites based on the day’s weather and sea conditions to ensure safety and an optimal snorkeling experience. On both trips the snorkel location(s) would be on one of the following: open ocean around coral reef patches, shipwreck sites, and a bayside snorkel near the mangroves.
What is the difference between the All-Day Sailing and the Snorkel and Paddle Eco-Adventure?
- Our paddle and snorkel eco-adventure go out to the reefs (weather permitted) and takes our paddlers to gorgeous sites in the Jones Lagoon where you can explore the vast variety of wildlife and the captain will teach you the difference on habitats and how they interact. We use our power boat which gets you to where we are going quickly and allows you more time for in-water activities; but you miss the experience of a quiet sail across the bay. On shared trips we ask that participants be over 12 years old. If it is a private trip, all ages are welcome.
- Our Sail, Paddle, Snorkel, and Island Visit is a 6-hour excursion, that involves a 2-hour boat ride that teaches your group how to work a sailboat in which is very interactive and an experience in of itself, you will stay inside the bay on this trip, and will snorkel in the calm waters within the bay and alongside the fringes of the mangroves. There will be no coral reef snorkeling and you will paddle the island mangroves. Once you arrive to the island you will have 2 hours for activities and lunch and then it will be 2 hours on the ride back to our Visitor Center.
- Both excursions will supply you with Stand Up Paddleboards (SUPs). You can sit or kneel on the SUP. If you stand/kneel you will have a better view and potentially see more wildlife. Since the water is calm, and the boards are stable it is not hard to stand for first timers, but you may get wet!
- We carry the SUPs on the boat all the time, if you are unsure, chat with your captain before your trip and ask his or her advice, please do that at least 1/2 hour before the trip starts to insure an on-time departure.
- If you are worried about using a SUP, we suggest taking the half day Jones Lagoon trip which offers inflatable kayaks and SUPs.